Khaman and Dhokla (actual we call dhokra) is a gujarati (
) steamed snack item. It’s made for chickpea flour. Khaman is sometimes confused with dhokla - but the former is almost entirely made of chickpeas and dhokla is make with rice and lentils .This snack is very sponge and soft. So let’s check Indian State
Original recipe from Tarla dalal cookbook.
serve 12 pieces
serve 12 pieces
1. 1 cup chickpea flour
2. 1 cup water
3. 1 tablespoon sugar
4. 1 ½ tablespoon semolina
5. 1/2 teaspoon citric acid powder or 2 tablespoon lime juice
6. 1/2 teaspoon salt
7. 1 teaspoon oil
8. 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
9. 1 ½ teaspoon fruit salt
10. Water for steaming
11. Coriander for garnish
1. 2 tablespoon oil
2. 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
3. Few curry leaves
1. Combine the chickpea flour, sugar, salt, turmeric powder, semolina and water. Mix until batter is smooth. (If u need add 1 tablespoon water more).
2. Leave this batter aside for 5 minutes.
3. Prepare the steamer and grease a square or round pan to steam the khaman.
4. Now add oil, citric acid in khaman batter and mix well.
5. In this batter add fruit salt and little water than mix quickly.
6. Pour the batter immediately into a greased 7" diameter pan and spread evenly.
7. Line the kitchen towel to the steamer lid very tightly.
8. Steam in a steamer for 12 to 15 minutes or till the khaman are cooked.
9. Open the lid carefully while holding the towel altogether. Makes sure the water drops don’t come into contact with the khaman.
10. Cool the khaman 10 minutes cut into squares.
11. To temper, heat the oil in small pan and add mustard seeds.
12. Fry till the seeds stop stuttering. Add curry leaves.
13. Sprinkle this mixture all over the prepared khaman.Garnish with the chopped coriander and serve with Tamarind Chutney and Mint-Coriander Chutney.You may also like: