Traditionally, the pickle is kept out in the sun for 10 to 15 days to 'cook' each day it is stir, covered and placed in a sunny day, then brought indoors at evening time.
The sun makes the sugar in it melt to a syrupy consistency and the grated mango turns transparent!
Since most of us don't have the time to do this.
Here is a quick and less time consuming version of the recipe. Some people make this chundo(Mango Jam) using stove but here I made in microwave it's not take much time and easy to make.
1. 4 cup grated unripe sour mangoes
2. 4 cup white sugar
3. 2 tablespoons red chili powder
4. 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
5. 1 teaspoon salt
6. 2 teaspoons roasted cumin powder
1. Peel and grate the raw mangoes.
2. Take large microwave safe bowl and mix it with sugar.
3. Put in microwave high medium heat about 5 minutes. (After 3 minutes take it out and stir.)
4. Put again for 10 minutes for high heat and stir occasionally.
5. After 7 minutes check sugar syrup get to a one-thread consistency take it out.
6. This process depend of mangoes how watery,(my mangoes take 10 minutes) if mangoes are more juicy they take time but mangoes are not very juicy the process finished early.
7. After 10 minutes take it out and add salt, cumin powder and red chili powder.
8. Allow to cool completely add chunda in clean and airtight glass jar.
9. Store for up to one year and serve with chapatis, bread and parathas.