Dahi vada or Dahi bhalla are lentil based savory deep fried balls. This dish is as popular appetizer in the north
as in the west India.
These vadas are covered with fresh chilled yogurt and spices and served with
sweet spicy and tangy chutneys….
1. 1 cup yellow moong daal skinless
2. 1/2 cup split black lentil skinless
3. 1 teaspoon chili paste
4. 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
5. Salt to taste
6. Pinch of meetha soda
7. Water as required
8. Oil for deep frying
1. Wash and soak both lentils 3 to 4 hours in water.
2. Drain the water and grind them into smooth thick batter.
3. Add a little water if required.
4. Add in chili - ginger paste, salt and mix well.
5. Heat the oil in pan add pinch of soda in vadas batter and mix.
6. Wet the big spoon in water than take batter in spoon.
7. Gently and carefully drop this into the hot oil. Repeat this process.
8. Deep fry in medium heat until golden brown.
9. Pressing them lightly and sock all vadas in bowl of water for 3 to 5 minutes.
10. Now take out the vadas from water, take one by one vada in your palm. Press with both your palms and squeeze so as to remove the excess water from it.
11. Arrange them in a serving dish and pour the chilled yogurt sauce evenly.
12. Garnish with red chili powder, cumin coriander powder, black salt, chaat masala, coriander leaves and tamarind chutney.
13. Chill the vadas before serving.
For Sweet Yogurt Sauce:
1. 3 cup yogurt
2. 3 tablespoon sugar powder
3. 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
4. 1/2 teaspoon coriander seed powder
5. 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
6. 1/2 teaspoon chaat masala,
7. 1 teaspoon black salt
8. Salt to taste
1. Mix all ingredients in bowl and beat it well.
2. Keep it in refrigerator.
You may also like: