1. 3 cup bottle gourd (lauki/dudhi)
2. 1/2 cup split bengal gram (chana dal)
3. 1/4 teaspoon asafetida
4. 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
5. 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
6. 1 teaspoon garlic paste
7. 1 tomato chopped
8. 1 teaspoon red chili powder
9. 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
10. 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
11. Salt to taste
12. Freshly chopped coriander leaves
1. Wash and soak chana dal in half cups of water for half hour.
2. Wash and peel the bottle gourd than cut in medium size pieces
3. Heat the oil in a presser cooker; add in asafetida, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, cooked until they start to crackle.
4. Add the bottle gourd, turmeric powder, chili powder, garlic, sugar, tomato and salt, stir well.
5. Add lentils with 1 cup of water and cook for 4 to 5 whistles.
6. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with bhakri, phulka's or plain parathas.
You may also like: