Daal bati is very famous dish in Rajasthan(
). I love to eat daal bati. Its my favorite. It's very easy to make and perfect food for party, it's very heavy food because India Lot's of butter use but if u not like u can avoid butter. If u want traditional taste this dish make and serve original way.
You may also like:
For Batti or Dumplings:
1. 2 cups wheat flour
2. 1/2 cup semolina
3. 3 tablespoon oil or butter
4. 1/4 teaspoon carom (ajwain) seeds
5. 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
6. Salt to taste
7. Luke warm water as needed,
• A small bowl of melted ghee or clarified butter,
1. Pre-heat oven at 350 F or 180 C
2. Place all ingredients in a large bowl and make a firm dough.
3. Divide it into equal portions and make balls.
4. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until light golden brown.
5. Turn over every 10 minutes dumplings or baati and cook for further.(the baati is cooked until out side is crispy and in side is soft).
6. Dip each dumpling in melted ghee and take out immediately and keep aside.
Serve hot with dal. They are eaten dipped in dal.
Steamed Dumpling: (Baffla)
1. In one large pan take 1 liter water and boiled the water add dumpling (batti) balls and stem the ball about 15 minutes. (cover the lid
2. Than take out battis and cook in oven about 30 to 40 minutes.
* both way it's good but I like baffla (second method) because it's more cook and nice.
For the dal or lentil:
1. 1/4 cup split moog lentils
2. 1/4 cup split black gram lentils with skin
3. 1/4 cup split bengal gram lentils
4. 1 cup split yellow pigeon lentils (arhar or tuvr dal)
5. 2 tomatoes chopped
6. 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
7. 1 teaspoon red chili powder
8. 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
9. 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
10. Salt to taste
11. Coriander leaves for garnish
1. 2 tablespoons oil or clarified butter(ghee)
2. 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
3. 1/8 teaspoon asafetida powder
4. 1 teaspoon grated ginger
5. 2-3 green chilies (to taste) finely chopped
6. 1/8 teaspoon red chili powder
1. Clean, wash and cook lentils with turmeric, salt and water in pressure cooker in 2-3 whistles or pressures.
2. Add more water if too dry. It should be stew like consistency.
3. Heat ghee or oil in large pan add cumin and asafetida.
4. When the seeds cracking, add ginger and green chilies, red chili powder, tomato and fry for a few seconds.
5. Add daal,chili powder, garam masala, corinder powder and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
Garnish with coriander.
Dumplings can be stuffed with a mixture of mashed potatoes, boiled peas, grated ginger, green chillies and salt, cooked with a cumin or jeera tarka.